CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

lagi lagi tentang PPSMI

Bismillah..

Terpanggil untuk turut berbicara tentang PPSMI, satu topik yang tengah hangat dibincangkan oleh semua orang. Bukanlah bijak atau sematang mana, tapi sekadar berkongsi pandangan.

Penat juga dengar orang bercerita tentang ini. Macam-macam pandangan, macam-macam pendapat, macam-macam kaitan. Any of the kaitan, I am not interested. Just minat nak cakap pasal tajuk je. And nothing more.

Personally, dulu masa mula-mula PPSMI ni implemented, I was already in Form 5. So, secara automatiknya, terlepaslah. At first rasa lega, sebab having to tiba-tiba je belajar Maths n Science in English, would be haru jugak la kot, because all the terms and jargons would definitely be different. Kalau ada overlap pun se-dua je la. Tapi bila dah masuk KMB, rasa rugi pulak tak dapat belajar Maths and Science in English, sebab there, I had to work adapting with English and it really took time to be comfortable with it. I thought, may be if I learned Maths and Science in English since in secondary, or better, in primary school, I wont need to struggle as much. And may be I could do better. HAHA. Alasan again. Hey hey,.. Enough, enough.. Then, rasa cemburu pada my young bro n sis sebab they get to study them in English. Nanti diorang jadi lebih terer daripada Han. HAHA.

Kalau fikir-fikir, macam tak logik je to say I still struggle to be comfortable with English masa kat KMB. Like, hello? That's KMB, the students are bound to studies in overseas, mostly in English speaking countries. How could you still have that trivial issue there? But that was what happened, and it wasn't trivial.

That made me think, 'oh, even I, yang konon-konon nak study kat negara omputih, and konon-konon terpilih from the lots to be in KMB, pun terasa susahnya adapting to bahasa omputih tu.' Thankfully the teachers were very helpful and supportive. That was one of my survival factors in KMB.

Okay. That's one.

Then, my mother is a Maths teacher. HAHA. I know. None of her children mewarisi bakat in Maths. She told me much about susahnya bila kena ajar English and Maths in English. Mind you, I stay in a kampung. So my mom taught in a school there. Mengajar anak-anak petani, pemandu lori, pekebun sawit (not ladang), peniaga pasar malam. Paling up pun anak cikgu kot. Nak mengajar dalam Bahasa Inggeris, tapi kalau speaking (of course using the simplest words and phrases) dalam kelas masa mengajar, sure budak-budak tu, if not all, at least half of the class, tercengang-cengang tak faham. Last last kena resort cakap Melayu jugak, sebab nak bagi diorang at least pandai la buat Maths walaupun tak pandai cakap orang putih.

A few years later, she moved to teach in a different school dekat town. Ha, masa kat sana, tak susah la for her to teach sebab budak-budak tu memang majority English speaking. Waktu cuti sekolah pun ada yang pergi bercuti ke Eropah, Australia, Jepun, atau paling kurang ke Hong Kong.

Tapi tak semua orang bernasib baik kan?

Sungguh, pelaksanaan PPSMI ni dilakukan dengan niat yang baik I'm sure. Ia diharapkan dapat memberi push yang sepatutnya kepada anak-anak sekolah, untuk usaha lebih keras dan mewujudkan daya saing dalam usaha Malaysia ke arah menjadi negara maju. Dan hasil yang diharapkan tentulah generasi yang lebih berkualiti ke arah globalisasi. Whatever that is.

I tutored my sister and some of her friends when they were in Form 5. It was summer holiday in my 1st year. I had trouble relearning all the subjects and to add to that, they are in English. Well, the syllabus were more or less the same, but when I was taking them, they were in Malay! HAHA. I know, lame me. Hey, that was not my point. I just wanna say that really, you can see how English makes things harder for them, and mind you, they were in MRSM! Betul la, language is a barrier, and can be a cogent one too.

Personally, i think, apa guna menambah komponen Bahasa Inggeris dalam Maths and Science kalau Maths and Science themselves, without the English, are hard enough for the students to master? Seriously, kesian kat budak-budak tu. Ada yang betul-betul struggle untuk belajar, tapi it is still hard. This might sound a bit pessimist but all I want to do is berpijak atas bumi yang nyata. How could you expect budak-budak yang still mencungap dalam kelas English, to do well in Maths and Science when they are taught in English? Seriously people..

I reckon this policy worth revising. I think they (the students) have the right to be good at Maths and Science even if their English is less than mediocre. To me, the subjects should be independent of each other. So tak la dalam result slip nanti, sebab result English tak bagus, subjek-subjek lain pun ikut jadi tak bagus sama. --> this is my personal opinion, not reflecting any direct/indirect support no any parties involved. (Teringat masa sekolah agama kecik-kecik dulu. Kalau semua subject daripada Tauhid, Ibadat, Akhlaq, Sirah, Tasawuf, Faraid, Munakahat, Muamalat, Tafsir and Hadis diajar dan di'assess' dalam Bahasa Arab, tak mimpi la nak dapat aggregate elok-elok. Silap-silap nak pass pun mencungap. HAHA. Ke kalau betul buat dalam Arabic, sekarang dah jadi terer berbahasa Arab?)

I dont know. May be this it is too early. May be it is just not suitable. May be aspirasi Tun Dr M belum meresap ke dalam jiwa orang-orang kita. May be, just may be, the disadvantages overweigh the benefit that is expected to come out of it.. Also, may be this kind of longstanding pressure is good, so that we will work harder. Or it may be bad, as it may suppress our growth (not sure how exactly is the mechanism).

But, it may be too early to judge the outcome. Or is 7 years not long enough? Should we wait more to see for either it is really feasible, or more damage done. (Listing these kind of points, make me terasa macam cikgu TOK la plak. HAHA)

I know different people have different view of this subject. And I am not trying to oppose any opinion that is against mine as I am merely sharing what has been going on in this little brain of mine. Truly, success only comes after a long path of hardwork that intersects with faith and His will. I am not saying that this policy is impossible to reach it's goals if it is to be implemented on those who has no privilege of an English speaking upbringing, it's just that it's gonna be a long shot.

Orang cakap, 'pelan-pelan kayuh'. Tapi sampai bila kita nak go slow sedangkan orang lain sedang sibuk berlumba untuk jadi allrounder, and the best at that? But then again, how do you define the best? Apa kayu ukurnya? Haa.. Dah jadi makin pening. Betul-betul macam kelas TOK. HAHA. So I think I better stop now.

Apa-apa hal pun, everything depends on Him kan. Takde walau sezarah pun yang bergerak atas dunia ni kalau bukan dengan izinNya. Kalau dah Dia nak beri, doesnt matter how, He'll give success to whoever He chooses.

Okay. betul-betul perlu berhenti.

Wallahualam.

Hanya sesen-dua dari saya. Because only He knows best.

[Tak terbayang macam mana nak balik Malaysia and ambik history patient dalam Bahasa Melayu in the appropriate way and using the right choice of words..]